Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Little Writing Update

Hello, all! I thought perhaps I should post something about writing, because, well, the title of the blog is Writes with Feathers. Heh. So, here we go:

Something old
Not really old, just the same kind of stuff I've been doing, and loving, for years - writing articles on assignment for magazines I enjoy working for.

For instance, I've got an assignment due August 6 and need to wrap up the *research and interviews. It's a fun story - all about products that help cycle your new aquarium. After all the tanks Allen and I worked so hard to cycle the old fashioned way, it's really cool to learn about things designed to safely cycle a tank without using fish. I guess we must have been doing something right, though. All of our cycle fish survived for years and some of them even reproduced. I love aquariums. No feathers, but still loads of fun.

*Darn stupid computer games. They really interfere with one's work.

Something new
I've taken a huge leap into the unknown. I've started a novel! Let's wait until the thunderous applause stops before I continue.

That didn't take long.

I've always loved fiction, especially fantasy and science fiction, horror, and historical novels. Over the years, I've penned a handful of short stories and actually had some of them published. For pay, even. Don't get excited. It wasn't much money, but it was still nice. Anyway, a few years ago, I got this idea. That's all it was, just an idea. I jotted down a few notes, a brief outline and some character sketches. Then I put it aside and sort of forgot about it.

After the surgeries I had last year (carpal tunnel surgery on both hands - thankfully, not both at the same time), the book poked its head into my medication-induced haze and insisted I take a look at it. I did and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't as bad as I'd feared it might be.

As soon as I could hold a pen, I began making notes and thinking, thinking, thinking about the story. I even dreamed about it. Once I could type a little, I started working on it. It was slow going, what with the constant pain and the strong meds and having to stay away from the computer for days at a time. But the story wouldn't leave me alone. Isn't that cool?

Now I've got the whole thing plotted, each chapter roughed out, and the characters detailed. I even know how the story ends. The only thing is, every time I think I've got something figured out, the characters tell me new stuff that changes what I thought I knew! And guess what? These folks really know what they're doing.

For example, one guy I knew a little about finally told me exactly who he is and how he's connected to the main story line. I nearly fell over! And it makes perfect sense; really adds to the story and ties up a bunch of loose ends I had no idea how to connect. Neat, huh?

Anyway. I guess that's enough of that for now. I'll probably ramble on about it again soon. Consider yourself warned.

Thanks for reading! Have a safe, happy, healthy day. And watch some birds, why doncha? :)

No comments: