Friday, July 24, 2009

Hummingbird Frenzy

Hummingbird Dance
I don't know what's gotten into them, but lately the hummingbirds have been going crazy! They buzz the feeder all day long and continue right through dusk. While this is normal behavior, what's out of the norm is the heavier amount of activity and the larger number of hummingbirds hanging around. Maybe it's the cooler than normal weather we've been having or all the recent storms that have them going. Whatever it is, I love it!

And one of them has even learned a new trick - she discovered my office window. A few days ago as I sat here typing, I kept catching a glimpse of motion from the corner of my eye. Thinking it must be a moth fluttering against the screen, I just kept working. When I realized that whatever it was wasn't going away, I took a look. Imagine my surprise to see a female ruby-throated hummingbird hovering outside the window, just a couple of feet away, watching me! And she's been back numerous times. That is so cool.

Bluebird Antics
On my way to the mailbox this morning, I spotted some birds hopping around in the grass on the far side of the yard. I grabbed my trusty binoculars (which just happened to be hanging around my neck) and took a peek. It was a pair of bluebirds with three or four young ones!

The grass was nice and damp and the birds appeared to be playing in the moisture. That's not surprising, considering how often I see them flinging water around in the bird bath. After a few moments, the parents fluttered up to supervise the activity from a nearby pine tree while the youngsters frolicked around in the grass. It was a lovely slice of bluebird life that I am awed to have witnessed.

I love birds.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

No doubt the birds love you too, Anne. It's such a treat when they linger just a little longer than usual, isn't it? I'd love to see your hummingbird friend. :)

Last week, we saw a number of feathered friends - some of which Frank mentioned on his latest post. Most of which I have photos to post soonish.

Anne C. Watkins said...

Hi, Hilary! Thanks for dropping by. :)

I have a hummingbird picture somewhere that I snapped just as its wings were positioned to look like angel wings! I'll see if I can dig it out and post it.

Can't wait to see your new pics. I'll be by your blog soon - it's one of my favorite places to visit. :)

Frank Baron said...

Harumph!

I believe *someone* associated with this blog recently complained about MY tardiness in posting....

Anne C. Watkins said...

Who in the world might that be, Frank? *innocent expression*