Monday, April 09, 2007

Cold snap :(

Brrr....
We had a cold front move in late last week and it took a terrible toll on our gardens. The Japanese magnolia, crape myrtle, fig tree, butterfly bush, elephant ears and assorted flowers like the cannas, all froze! The once beautiful, lush green leaves and shoots are now destroyed, black, sick-looking waste. My heart hurts. But all is not lost: I'd brought the hanging baskets and potted plants in from the porch, so they're all safe.

Chilled eggs?
My biggest fear is that the bluebird eggs may have gotten chilled. The female is still staying inside the box much of the time, but she also flies out whenever something startles her. I hope she didn't leave the nest long enough for the eggs to get too cool.

Hummingbirds
The little hummingbirds are just active as they were when the temps were high! Night before last, our temperatures dropped into the twenties, but the hummingbird food didn't freeze. I'm guessing that might be because the feeder is hanging in a protected place on the porch (?). At any rate, the hummingbirds buzzed the feeder all day and are out again early this morning. They must be a lot tougher than they look!

Blogger's Choice Award!
My lovely friend Dawno nominated this blog for a Blogger's Choice award--Best Animal Blog! Thank you, Dawno. I'm speechless, and that rarely happens. Be sure to drop by her blog. You'll be glad you did!

Happy Easter!
I hope you all had a wonderful, blessed Easter!


No comments: